AI systems are being used by businesses across diverse industry verticals. The healthcare industry is no exception to this. Several healthcare organizations across the world have deployed machine learning and AI systems. The use of artificial intelligence in healthcare can be seen in all major aspects of the patient care journey. AI systems have become an indispensable part of healthcare.
According to a PwC report, AI and robotics are becoming a part of the healthcare ecosystem. AI systems are bringing about digital transformation in various healthcare aspects, from imparting medical training and research to treatment of diseases.
The major roadblock of the use of AI in health is trust. How can patients, clinicians, and healthcare staff trust something that they cannot see, and in most cases cannot understand. For any technology to be successful, it needs trust and transparency.
Not just patients, the caregivers must have complete confidence in the decision-making ability, fairness, reliability, and of course the safety of AI systems.
ANSI-accredited standard for AI use in healthcare
- A new standard to evaluate the trustworthiness of AI in healthcare was introduced by the US Consumer Technology Association (CTA).
- This standard is certified by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
- The standard is known as ANSI/CTA-2090.
- This ANSI-accredited standard aims at identifying the core requirements and creating a baseline for trustworthy AI solutions in the healthcare industry.
- This standard has been developed by 50+ organizations including healthcare stalwarts and technology giants.
- The main purpose behind developing this standard is to provide a base to understand the AI systems and the related terminologies better so that the patients and caregivers can effectively communicate and make use of artificial intelligence in healthcare.
ANSI/CTA-2090 focuses on three key aspects on how trust can be developed and maintained across stakeholders. The three key aspects include:
- It is related to developing humanistic factors that influence the building and maintenance of trust between the developer and end-users.
- Specifically, human trust is based on human interaction and the ability to make the explanation easy, also the user experience and the autonomy levels of the AI system.
- It emphasizes on the designing and training aspect of AI systems.
- The main purpose behind this type of trust is to ensure that AI systems deliver the results along expected lines.
- It also takes into account data integrity and quality that covers issues pertaining to privacy, data security, access, and algorithmic bias.
- It can be obtained by way of compliance from the industry based on a clear set of rules and regulations.
- This type of trust is based on information obtained from federal and state laws, regulatory bodies, accreditation boards, and international standardization frameworks.
These form the pillars of establishing a trustworthy AI system in healthcare.
The use of AI in healthcare – Trust and Credibility
- Several individuals are relying on AI powered solutions in healthcare for getting a solution to their problem.
- Hence, it becomes that much more important to resolve the concerns of trust and credibility around the use of artificial intelligence in healthcare.
- Many people find it awkward and uncomfortable to talk about health issues like bipolar disorder and clinical depression. They are able to share their symptoms.
- The same people find it comfortable to share their feelings with an AI powered bot.
- Here, the trust factor comes into picture.
Will a patient trust an AI powered bot for making recommendations pertaining to an illness or diseases?
On what basis will a patient trust the bot considering that it does not have a professional degree like a doctor?
- This is where the role of the caregiver comes into picture.
- The patients must know exactly on what basis a bot is making the recommendations and how it matches the recommendations made by a doctor.
- This is how the trust of patients will build up in AI systems and their use in healthcare.
Considering the potential of AI systems, they are the future of the healthcare industry, provided the healthcare workers and patients trust them.
Let your children discover the AI concepts with us. Enroll your children into our course today and put them at the vanguard. It is right time to start.